Homeschooling can be scary at first. It is normal to have many thoughts from “what if I fail” or “I cannot teach my children, I don’t remember anything from school.” You cannot fail your children. Homeschooling looks different for every single family. Here are 5 tips to help you get started.
- You do not need a strict schedule. You can homeschool during the morning, day, or night. You can homeschool every day or only a few days a week. Homeschooling should fit your family schedule.
- You can do it. You can teach your children how to read or how to write. You can teach your children history. It is wonderful seeing a child going from recognizing letters to reading chapter books.
- You do not need the most expensive curriculum. Find the curriculum that works for your family. Research how you like to teach best and how your children learn best.
- Not every moment will be Pinterest worthy. Pinterest has created an illusion that every moment must be perfect. Homeschooling is real life from science experiments to learning math. It can be messy and messy can be fun. Embrace the ups and downs.
- Take breaks when needed because you do not need to follow a typical public/private school schedule. If you want to take a 3 week break in October to go on vacation, go ahead. Its okay. Your children will not care if they follow a different schedule than other children their age.
What tips do you have for new homeschoolers?